Black From the Future: A Collection of Black Speculative Writing
Inspired by the work of Black science fiction and speculative fiction writers Octavia Butler, Jewelle Gomez, Nalo Hopkinson, N.K. Jemisin, and others; as well as by the theory of Afrofuturism as defined by Alondra Nelson, BLF Press will produce a collection that encompasses the broad spectrum of Black speculative writing, including science fiction, fantasy, and Afrofuturism. We are excited to receive submissions for Black from the Future, our forthcoming anthology of speculative fiction and poetry by Black women writers. We are especially interested in writing from Black lesbian and queer women writers. We welcome submissions from emerging and experienced writers.
We seek writing that:
· Explores the interconnectedness of race, gender, and sexuality
· Centers women's experiences
· Creates alternate histories and imagines futures; dystopias and utopias; and apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic worlds
· Examines human and non-human relationships with the environment/natural world
· Fits into the genre of fantasy, science fiction, fabulism, magical realism, or expands the notion of these genres in exciting new ways
Please click the Submit button below to view the full guidelines on Submittable.
We are open to various types of literary work. While we welcome all submissions that meet our guidelines, we are especially interested in work that centers women of color and same gender loving women. Our preferred genres are short fiction, literary fiction, memoir, and creative non-fiction.
Please send us your very best unpublished work (this includes work published on blogs). Prose (fiction and non-fiction) manuscripts should be from 40,000-80,000 words; poetry collections should be at least 50 pages. If your work is under serious consideration elsewhere, please wait until you've received a decision before submitting it to us. We ask for limited print and electronic rights.
We accept Microsoft Word and RTF files only. Please use the following formatting guidelines:
· Double-spaced Times New Roman or similar font
· Five-space paragraph indents
· One inch margins
· Name, title, genre, page number in the upper right hand corner of the header